Friday, October 11, 2013

Euno - Hamlab from the perspective of a student-mentor


When my professor announced that our class would be helping teach Hamlet to a class of AP English students, I have to admit I was pretty horrified. I’m not terribly confident in my ability to teach anything to anyone, much less at the hour of 7:45 AM where most mornings I’ll be smashing the “snooze” button on my phone’s alarm. As most of my colleagues will attest (and many of you future college students will soon find out), 7:45 AM is a godless hour for intellectual activity of any sort.

That said, working with Hernan, Joseph, Leslie, Erik (Eric?), Kaidy (did I get that right?), Sindy, Cindy, Jamal, Maria, Nemesis, and Leila has been one of the most fun and rewarding things I’ve done all semester. You guys are probably thinking “dude, Euno, your life must be pretty boring,” and that’s simply not true (OK… it kind of is… but that’s not my point).

First and foremost, I learned a lot of interesting things from Ms. Barrios regarding the performance of soliloquies. Actors, writers, musicians are all related in that all of them rely on the use of and performance of words. A well-written song and a Shakespeare soliloquy are both dependent on an understanding of the emotional context. You wouldn’t sing “I got the eye of the tiger” line from Katy Perry’s “Roar” as if you were reading out of your biology textbook, and you certainly wouldn’t call someone a “bloody, bawdy villain! Remorseless, treacherous, lecherous, kindless villain!” as if you were reading over the menu at McDonald’s.

That said, the students are really lucky to have a teacher like Ms. Barrios teaching them aspects of Shakespeare performance that really wasn’t afforded to me when I was in high school. This is not only going to help the students in college, but also help expose them to Shakespeare at a level that allows them to form an opinion about Hamlet other than “I wish Hamlet would have just stabbed the King in III.iii, married his mom, end scene, roll credits.”

But in order for Ms. Barrios to be able to effectively teach those things, there have to be students who understand what she’s saying, and that was perhaps the most amazing part of the experience of all: I could easily see many of these students being my classmates at USC (or any other university, for that matter) and genuinely caring about and contributing to the areas they’re studying, which (for lack of a more formal phrase) is pretty awesome.

I do have a couple pieces of advice for the students:

-       When you read: don’t trust
the line breaks, trust the punctuation.

-       Like Ms. Barrios says, personalize the character. Make that character yours. For those of you performing soliloquies, Hamlet might have a lot to be angry about, but he’s not always enraged and shouting at the top of his lungs. He’s a lot more emotionally complex than that (that’s what makes him so intriguing), so try to put what he says into the proper context and pinpoint his emotions with each word or phrase.

-       Just general college/life advice: Don’t do it just for the grade or just for the credit. Do it because you love it! Be curious, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and try your best. Eventually the grades, units, degrees, jobs, fame, and the Mercedes-Benz will come. For now, though, don’t forget to love life and learning cause that’s what it’s all about.

Thanks so much for a great experience. Good luck, and I really hope to see you all on October 30th.

- Euno (the big Korean guy).

2 comments:

  1. Dear Euno,

    Having you as our mentor for Hamlet was a great experience. Working on the soliloquies with you actually helped me put emotion into my unit. The way you gave each one of the group members helped out a lot. I learned to get more in character and like you mentioned in your blog I learned how to act the punctuation. Sorry for making you wake up at 7:45 in the morning just to teach us,but hey it was worth it because you were a funny and good mentor!

    - Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collaborating with the different mentors, specifically Naman and Euno, was definitely a GREAT experience. When we first met with the mentors, I honestly had a vague idea of what my soliloquy, "O what a rogue and peasant slave am I", was saying. I did not realize the number of units/shifts this one soliloquy contains; and I surely did not see the difference in emotion in each unit. Working with my mentors really helped my group and me evoke the different emotions Hamlet experiences, as well as the emotions Shakespeare wants the audience to experience. Thanks to Euno, I learned the difference in effect when projecting words in a variety of ways (also thanks to Ms. Barrios). This technique is highly significant when attempting to understand the soliloquy.. well any text, as a matter of fact. Not to mention the pronunciation of words (heCUba). I really do appreciate Euno for giving up his precious sleeping time to help us. As well as all the other mentors and Professor Werlin. This experience has really touched us all and we cannot thank you enough.
    - Nemesis Salguero ( as well as the rest of Ms. Barrios' second period)

    ReplyDelete