Friday, October 25, 2013

Individual Piece for Art Gallery (Jose Perdomo)


This individual piece I have been working on, inspire me to do the theme of death; which mostly everyone is doing it, but what caught my attention was the death of Claudius and Gertrude. As M.s Barrios showed us around 20 pictures about skulls, what caught my interest was a king card that is used to play poker or any card game, representing Hamlet with a face of a skull. I wanted to elaborate on it, since the skull king card was too vague, and I wanted to connect it with Claudius and Gertrude. Claudius is responsible for killing his own brother Hamlet, by poisoning him in sleep ( poison cup in the picture) and marrying his wife and the queen of Denmark Gertrude. At the end of the play, Hamlet stabs Claudius (knife striking in the heart) and makes him drink the poison cup which leads him to his death. For Gertrude, she shows no guilt and is satisfy with her new husband Claudius( the side of heart have black edges, representing her false loyalty to her dead husband). At the end of the play, she is poisoned when she drinks the cup (poison cup in the picture) when it was intended for her son Hamlet, leading to her death. I notice that by killing King Hamlet, the new couple thought they would get the last laugh, but turns out they die for being morally corruptThe way Claudius and Gertrude dress must represent their royalty of Denmark, with elegant clothing. I chose mostly red for their clothing, since the front cover of my Hamlet book shows Hamlet dressing in red, reminding me that's how Claudius and Gertrude are suppose to dress. On the side note, the colors also represents the University of Southern California.

0 comments:

Post a Comment