Sunday, October 27, 2013

Punctuation!

So--in reading the sullied flesh monologue again with Period 3,  my Jeff Dolven edition totally stands apart from students' editions, especially with regards to punctuation.  I wanted to ask how people feel about the dash versus the comma--and why you might want to use one vs. another. For example:

It is not nor it cannot come to good--
But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue.
(Dolven)

It is not nor it cannot come to good,
But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue.
(No Fear Hamlet)

It is not, nor it cannot come to good.
But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue.
(Cambridge)

I can't find my Arden at the moment. But...punctuation! Any thoughts? Preferences? Which punctuation do you think represents Hamlet the most? dash, comma or period?

0 comments:

Post a Comment