Friday, October 11, 2013

Reflection - Manuel Valdez

Manuel Valdez
Period 2
Reflection on Monday's class/ Soliloquy Analysis w/ college student 10/07/13
Group: Myself, Rebecca Segovia, Casey Cortez, Emeli Castillo

The class on monday was very refreshing, I found it interesting to see how a college student who is also studying Hamlet breaks down the "O' what a rogue" soliloquy. I believe I speak for everyone in my group that the discussion we had with our mentor was enlgihtening in the sense that she offered a completely different approach to the soliloquy. I found it interesting how she pointed out that Hamlet switches between talking to himself(I) and what seems to be the audience(He). At certain points he speaks as thoguh he is directing his words towards the audience. For example, when Hamlet asks, "Am I a coward? Who calls me villain? breaks my pate across?" it seems that he is directing these questions to someone else. My interpretation of this is that Shakespeare's goal was probably to make Hamlet seem mad and delusional. The entire soliloquy is Hamlet going back and forth cursing himself for not being brave; the pattern stops when he realizes that he must use the only good thing he has, his intellect. This moment is followed by what seems to be an external/internal discussion he has with himself which further adds to the thought that he is mad. 

One question we still had was:
Why didn't Hamlet go straight to the royal court when he had evidence of his death order or use his position as prince to rightfully take the crown and avoid this mess?

0 comments:

Post a Comment